Friday, May 11, 2007

2.0 to the max!

So, I have this friend called beaglebot. I met him online a few years ago at Linkfilter. We became friends there long before I learned that he lived in Tulsa. We've since gotten together IRL a few times.

A few days ago, I was reading my Livejournal friends page, and there was a post on the tulsatime community about a very bad experience a woman had at one of our trendier local restaurants. It was posted by her husband, who turned out to be the very same beaglebot! I didn't even know he was a member of that community.

Then, today, I was checking MySpace, and found a bulletin from a friend and co-worker talking about a boycott of said restaurant. The bulletin tells the same story that beaglebot's wife told.

So, to recap: A friend I met online at community #1, who turned out to live basically down the street from me, turned up randomly at community #2, telling a story that crossed over to community #3 within a space of 2-3 days.

The web is weird.

By the way, the restaurant story gets stranger. The post on tulsatime has been removed, ostensibly because the restaurant's lawyer threatened legal action. Comments on beaglebot's LJ suggest that a story appeared on local news, and the MySpace bulletin says that the owner actually changed the tip on the credit card, adding an extra $8! I can't speak to the validity of any of these claims, of course, but it certainly makes me hesitant to go to Alioli's on Brookside in Tulsa. That's only my opinion, mind you. :-)

No comments: