Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Hmm. Somehow this has languished as a "draft" post since the beginning of April. I guess I'll go ahead and post it now.

Books read in March, 2007: 12

Making Stuff: an Alternative Craft Book - Very no-nonsense, unfussy book of both traditional and brand-new crafts. Very cool.
Redshift: Extreme Visions of Speculative Fiction - Interlibrary Loan I'd been waiting a long time to read. Redshift is the SF companion of editor Al Sarrantonio's Flights (fantasy) and 999 (horror). Some very big names are here (Dan Simmons, Ursula LeGuin...) but my favorite story was Catherine Wells' touching "Bassador".
X-Men: Deadly Genesis - My good friend Matthew calls this "the worst kind of retcon" and I have to agree with him. Everything you know is wrong, indeed. Good art, though.
Noisy Outlaws, Unfriendly Blobs, and some other things... - Follow the link for the full title. This is a collection of short stories for young adults by some of my favorite authors, including Neil Gaiman, Jon Scieszka, and Nick Hornby. My favorite was "Grimble" by Clement Freud.
Fool Moon - Book 2 of the Dresden Files, a werewolf story (at least, mostly)
YOU on a diet - The book that started me writing those silly little posts about walking every day. You're welcome. :-) Seriously, this book has made a big difference in my life. It explains in clear and simple language how the body functions when it comes to food. I could do without the constant stream of lame similes, but the science is sound, and it's really helped me. This is the first book I've gone out and bought, brand new, for a very long time. Highly recommended.
Running with the Demon - This modern fantasy novel is a departure from Terry Brooks' usual sword-and-sorcery fare. It's a much darker tale about good versus evil. I chose it as my first read for the Fantasy Genre Discussion Group at work.
Complete Maus, The - A re-read. Maus has almost become a cliché. It's the book that everyone points to as evidence that graphic novels should be taken seriously as a genre, but it really does deserve all the praise it receives. It's a view of the holocaust with cats representing the Nazis, and mice as the Jews. The tale is told by the author's father, and the present-day scenes with the two of them struggling to get along demonstrate the continuing legacy of the damage he received.
Grave Peril - Book 3 of the Dresden Files, in which the problem is ghosts.
Wintersmith - Latest of Terry Pratchett's Discworld subseries featuring young witch Tiffany Aching. Satisfactory.
In a Sunburned Country - I'd had several recommendations of this travel book, and I thorougly enjoyed it. Bill Bryson does a great job of capturing Australia (well, as far as I know). I thought I'd not read any of his work, but he wrote Mother Tongue, one of the most enjoyable books on language I've ever read.
Superman: Emperor Joker - What if the Joker somehow gained Mr. Mxyzptlk's power to change reality, but without any of his restraint? A dark story with a lot of senseless violence, but in a good way.

Books read so far this year: 32

No comments: