Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Getting Political, Just This Once

utterli-image
Those of you seeing this on Facebook will be surprised at that title, since I've made my opinions pretty clear over there. However, on my blog proper, I pretty much keep to cute kid pictures. However, I think this is pretty important, so I'm taking a moment to talk about my candidate, Barack Obama.



First I want to speak to my readers who have decided to vote for John McCain. If you have made a reasoned decision, based on facts and issues, I applaud you. McCain is a man I respect and admire in many ways. However, there is a lot of bad information floating around out there. I would ask each of you to spend some time looking at two websites:

http://www.factcheck.org/ is a non-partisan site that examines claims made by both candidates and compares them to the truth, based on established facts.

http://www.barackobama.com/index.php is Obama's official website. Before you believe someone else's characterization of what he stands for, look at what he says for himself.



If you've not made a decision, please look at those websites as well. This is a very important election, and it's absolutely necessary to be informed.



Finally, if you are an Obama supporter like me, and you have been watching the news and the polls, you may believe that this is in the bag. Please, don't relax! There's half a month left before that all-important Tuesday, and the only poll that really matters happens then. A few thoughts:

Anything can happen. The phrase "October Surprise" means just that. We could see some new smear by the right that they've been holding in reserve. There could be a foreign policy crisis that the McCain camp could use to raise the false specter of inexperience. We must maintain support and keep building right up until the big day.

Dirty tricks are a political reality. We're already hearing reports of touch-screen voting machines in West Virginia changing votes (http://blog.wired.com/…chine.html) The Republicans are doing everything they can to suppress voter turnout in swing states. We need every advantage of numbers we can get to protect against this.

We need to win big. High turnouts for Obama mean better chances for Democratic candidates for Congress as well. If we believe in what Obama wants to accomplish, we need to make sure that he has the backing to make it happen, and that the numbers are firmly behind him. Remember all of Bush's talk in 2004 about "political capital" and "mandates"? Barack Obama needs to be able to make the same case.



So, if you are already for Obama, speak up. Do as I've done and tell your friends and family how you feel. Give them the tools to make informed decisions, and let them know how important this is to you and to the country.



Thank you very much for listening.

Mobile post sent by yoyology using Utterlireply-count Replies.

1 comment:

Nick and Jasmine Barnett said...

I am totally with you on this!!! Now is I could only get it through my moms head that hes not a muslim... sheesh :) Hope all is well with you guys... give everyone my love :)